Car Trim

Trim - Crest - Page 3


Nothing else says "Classic Chevy" quite like those old v-shaped symbols that graced the hood/trunks of some of the classic '50's models... The Bel Air in question has one on the trunk, and even though it will likely end up hidden by the spare tire later, I'm going to model it anyway. It is geometrically simple to do, and relies on all the same basic techniques we have just learned.


First I created a 'V' shape in the front viewport. It is outlined in such a way so it can be made from quad polygons when projected and bridged... but since it is such a simple shape and on a relatively flat part of the car, you can get away with only a few points that define the outer corners/edges.

Make sure the spline is linear with no interpolation.


Next, you can position/scale the spline so that it lines up with where you want it projected on the car surface.

Of course it helps to do this from the front/back orthographic view, I'm just showing the perspective view for reference.



So, the next step is to project the spline to the trunk of the car (XY plane), and copy the points of the spline from the structure manager into the structure manager of an empty polygon object. Then, bridge the points to form the two polygons that make up the 'V'... you know the drill!


Select both polygons, and use the bevel tool twice to extrude the polygons outward... The first bevel is a smaller amount to create the base thickness, the second bevel sets up the structure for the 'V' that we will modify to create a nice angled face.


The easiest way to do this is to select the matching points of the outermost bevel and use the weld tool.

Here you can see the points in question.


And the result of the weld operation...

Not to worry about that triangle... we aren't using HyperNURBS for the 'V' crest, so a little triangle here won't hurt us.

You will want to select the resultant welded point and move it into a more aesthetic position.



After you have done all three welds required, you can have a better view on where to move the final points to make the crest look nice and uniform.



And it's as easy as that!

A quick render shows that it is just a small detail, maybe hardly worth the time it took as it stands a good chance of being hidden by other elements, but all practice is good practice!

And with that sentiment, let's practice putting some additional detail on the side of the car... namely the Bel Air logo. I've gone to the trouble of making a simple black and white image of the logo... you could use this actually to decal map a chrome bump right onto the side of the car... but I'm going to trace it with a spline and actually use geometry. Feel free to try the map method if you prefer though.

And with that, I'll leave you alone as far as crests and logos go! There are a couple other small crests that could be put onto the car, but they wouldn't serve much more purpose in terms of teaching anything at this point. Besides, each car you attempt will have it's own requirements as far as logos & ornament treatment go, and you'll always be winging these parts of the model depending on the situation.

Let's move on to something with a slightly more universal application- the headlights.


So, my tracing of the logo text is basically one continuous closed spline. I didn't worry about making it linear or structuring it so that we could make even quad polygons from it... rather I intend to just extrude it as you likely would with any text.

To spare you the trouble of tracing it, you can have this file in zip or sit format.


Once you import (merge) the file into your car model, position and scale the spline appropriately.

Use the side view to position the spline in the little corner of trim on the middle rear part of the car as shown. Of course, you'll want a second logo on the other side of the car (but not mirrored or it will read right to left!).


Project the spline to the surface of the car using the ZY plane.

The amount of points on the spline should be adequate to follow the contour of the car object adequately...

Previously we would have now copied points to a polygon object and bridged them but we are going a different route this time.


Instead, I used an Extrude NURBS parent for the spline and gave it just a little bit of movement (Z or X depending on the position/direction of your spline axis).

I used a cap option with a linear rounding to give a slight bevel. You will have to fiddle with the numerical details on your own as the allowable parameters may differ from mine depending on the size of your model.